Friday, July 24, 2009

It's Easy as ABC


Charlotte is teaching herself to read. I have known for sometime that she recognizes certain words (stop, sport, park), particularly words we see on road signs that we pass with regularity. But, I really thought that it was all about pattern recognition and not yet reading.


On Monday, however, she set me straight. Sitting in the lobby of our gym, she asked me why a sign said, "Men" instead of "Women." I explained the two different lockerrooms and then realized, "Charlotte is reading!" Since then she has asked me, "Mommy, why does that say xxxx?" several dozen times.


So, I went to the library and picked up some easy reader books. I got classics like One Fish, Two Fish and The Cat in the Hat (I can't believe we don't own those) and some new Elephant and Piggie favorites by Mo Willems, Watch Me Throw the Ball, Elephants Cannot Dance, and I Love My New Toy. We spent much of Charlotte's post-surgical rest time reading a stack of books. Actually, Charlotte did most of the reading. She's beginning to figure out how to sound out words. One of her favorite games is to take a word and figure out how it sounds if we change the first letter (pig, big, dig, etc.)

As if this new development stage--teaching herself to read--isn't blowing my mind enough, on the way into camp yesterday, Charlotte turned to me and said, "Mommy, two plus two if four, right?"!

No comments: