Friday, April 27, 2007

Foot Fetish--A Feeding Update

Play piano! Yeah!


Recently on P2P, the wonderful support website for parents of tube-fed kids, a mom asked if anyone else's kids liked pulling off their socks. Charlotte goes beyond that. She loves to pull of her socks, yes. But she thinks having her feet tickled and "nibbled" is about the best thing ever. We have a blast singing "Boogie-Woogie Piggies."



So, you ask, how is this crazy blogging mama going to segue from feet to food? (Well, my brother is now asking why I have to use big words like "segue" and I'm sticking my tongue out at him!)
Bummer! I'm wearing tights, so I can't take my socks off.



Charlotte has been eating terrifically well, for her. She averages more than 600 mls. daily of her 900 mls. minimum. And she takes almost a tablespoon of solid food each meal. It's not a lot for a regular toddler, but Charlotte is not yet regular in the food department.

Last night she drank her entire dinner, all 240 mls. (8 ounces for you non-metric folks). And, how did I get her to do that you ask? Well, that is where the feet come in. Seriously. She wanted me to tickle and nibble her toes. So, for each five sips she took, I let her pick a toe for nibbling. We did this for a total of 2 ounces. I am not sure how she managed to eat between all those giggles!


On top of that, she's been taking all of her medicine by mouth all week. Last night when Philippe tried to put her meds in her tube, she said "mouth" and insisted on taking her medicine like big kids do. True story.


I never stop moving.

Why all this progress? I don't know. But she has started asking to see my "tubey" and asking us to "take out tubey." I've started explaining to her that in order to get rid of her tube for good she needs to eat. Our daily conversation goes like this:
C: "Tubey out" (a bit whiney)
Me: "What do we need to do to take the tubey out forever."
C: "Eating"
Me: "Are you going to eat like a big girl."
C: "NO!" Big smile and giggle, "Hungry."
Me: "Let's go get breakfast.
C: "Eating!"

Eating indeed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ellie just got a huge kick out of seeing Charlotte in her clothes! They're still adorable the second (fourth!) time around, as is C in them.

xoxoxo